Cancer-Fighting Summer Salad
Cancer-Fighting. That food can be our medicine is something we should all strongly believe, and it’s important to find ways to incorporate not only wholesome and seasonal ingredients into our diet, but also those that bring a little bit of extra to the table.
I’m talking about superfoods, of course.
Summer is that time of the year when we’re focusing on refreshing salads and light dishes that will keep us nourished, but also withstand the hot weather. Adding superfoods into the mix is as easy as sprinkling them on top or mixing them up in your salad dressing. Once you start adding them on the regular, you won’t be able to make the same dish without them.
I love making summer salads and switching them up depending on what I get from the farmer’s market. They’re never completely the same and they’re never boring as I make sure to add all the important factors: the crunch, the spice, the creamy, and the citrusy. One of my favorite salads includes just a few simple ingredients so you can make it any time you’d like, but it’s the dressing that takes all the credit.
The dressing contains cancer-fighting superfoods that help reduce inflammation in your body while at the same time fighting free radicals from creating cellular damage. Their high-antioxidant content helps protect your body and support your immune system, one bite at a time.
The star ingredients in the dressing are ginger root powder, yacon syrup, and camu-camu powder:
Ginger root powder helps support your immune system and it’s been used for thousands of years to relieve symptoms of disease and lower inflammation in the body. The Peruvian ginger we source is handpicked at high altitudes which increases its quantity of antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins. In this dressing, it adds just a touch of spice, giving the salad a nice kick.
Yacon syrup is one of the best low-glycemic sweeteners you can use in your meals. It doesn’t cause a spike in your blood sugar levels, keeps your triglycerides and LDL-cholesterol low, fights free radicals with its antioxidant count, and promotes gut health with high levels of fiber. Yacon syrup adds a touch of sweetness to the dressing, replacing honey, maple syrup, or other forms of sugar you can usually find in restaurants or store-bought products.
Camu-Camu Powder is a powerful source of antioxidants, making it the perfect ingredient to add to your cancer-fighting salad dressing. It’s incredibly rich in vitamin C and helps naturally detox the body. With a slightly citrusy taste, its acidic profile is just what a dressing needs, especially when combined with lemon juice and a bit of balsamic vinegar.
Cancer-Fighting Summer Salad
Ingredients for the salad:
- 2 big handfuls of iceberg lettuce, arugula, or any other seasonal salad mix
- 1 cup carrots, sliced and roasted in the oven
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds, toasted on a pan
- ⅓ cups artichoke hearts (either from a can or cooked and drained)
- ⅓ cup vegan feta
Ingredients for the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon camu camu powder
- ½ teaspoon ginger root powder
- 1 tablespoon yacon syrup
- Place all the salad ingredients in a big bowl
- Mix the dressing well so that it reaches a smooth consistency
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and mix well, coating every single piece of the salad. Use your hands to massage the greens even better.
- If you want to, you can top it off with any protein of your choice or add sliced avocado for some additional healthy fats