Banana, Lucuma and Blueberry Muffins
Blueberry Muffins are often times summer’s easiest and favorite dessert. They’re delicious, fun-sized, and can be made with a variety of different and nutritious ingredients. Think of them as snacks that can be packed with different kind of superfoods to help improve all aspects of your health and prevent inflammation, infections, and diseases.
These muffins are made with three nutrient-packed superfoods that have numerous health benefits, from protecting your cardiovascular health and keeping your blood levels in check to promoting a smoother digestion and protecting against cancer.
Bananas are one of the highest-fiber fruits, even earning the title of superfoods after being named by the American Medical Association as one of the best foods for children as well as those suffering from celiac disease. They are a great source of vitamin B6, potassium, magnesium, vitamin C, and manganese, improving your digestion and helping reduce inflammation in your digestive tract.
Research shows how bananas can have a positive effect on treating asthma and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), improving cardiovascular health, and even preventing cancer.
Bananas are also incredibly versatile in their use, with a creamy texture and sweet flavor, making it easy to ditch any added sweeteners. They are not low glycemic foods and should still be eaten in moderation, but the amount of fiber lowers the sugar impact and it’s even recommended for diabetics.
Lucuma is one of the most valued Peruvian superfoods that’s known for its delicious maple syrup flavor and micronutrient richness. It’s a low glycemic sweetener, making it suitable for diabetics as well as anyone who wants to lower their sugar intake in their diet.
Lucuma is incredibly rich in antioxidants, helping you fight free radicals and their oxidative cellular damage, improve your heart health, as well as act as protection against cancer and other inflammation-caused diseases. It supports your digestion, boosts your immune system, and keeps your blood sugar levels under control.
Lucuma is easy to incorporate into any type of dessert, sauce, jam, smoothie, icing, or even salad dressing if you need a touch of a sweet note.
Blueberry Muffins are often considered to be one of the healthiest fruit out there, with a really high level of antioxidants. These little berries are packed with fiber, folate, potassium, vitamin K, and vitamin C, making them improve your cholesterol levels, boost your cognitive function, lower your blood sugar levels, improve insulin sensitivity,
Their high-antioxidant profile acts as a powerful protection against cancer, diabetes, heart disease, and other inflammatory diseases, fighting free radicals and preventing them from causing too much damage.
They are very sweet and sometimes a bit sour, adding a unique touch to any dessert, sauce, jam, or smoothie.
Banana, Lucuma & Blueberry Muffins
These delicious muffins are easy to make and even easier to enjoy with a variety of different add-ons such as jams, nut butters, icings, and even ice cream.
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 eggs (or egg substitutes)
- ½ cup plant-based milk of choice
- 1 cup coconut yogurt
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 tablespoon Lucuma powder
- 1 tablespoon monkfruit sweetener
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 380F and prepare a muffin tin. Line it with muffin parchment papers or oil it up with coconut oil to prevent the dough from sticking.
- In a big bowl, mash your bananas and add the plant-based milk to mix it up into a smoother consistency.
- Add the coconut yogurt and almond butter, mixing everything through.
- Crack two full eggs directly into the bowl and mix until incorporated.
- Add the lucuma powder and monkfruit sweetener, and mix until well-incorporated.
- Add the almond flour and mix until it resembles a dough. It should stay somewhat liquidy and sticky, making it easy to pour it into your muffin molds.
- Sprinkle the blueberries and fold them in carefully so they stay intact
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the toothpick comes out dry.
- Enjoy with coconut ice cream, coconut yogurt, blueberry jam, almond butter, or simply some fruit on the side.